Prawn Curry in Mustard is a hot favorite recipe among seafood lovers in India, especially looking for complimentary gravies with Rice. It is a bare simple recipe of Prawns (can be replicated with Shrimps and Lobsters as well) cooked in Mustard sauce with Indian spices. Prawns are one of the most popular dishes among seafood lovers. The versatility of prawns makes them excellent for making unlimited prawn curry recipes anywhere. This prawn curry in mustard is packed with flavor and quite satisfying. See our video recipe here.
Table of Contents
Want to share this?
Prawn Curry in Mustard Recipe #prawncurry
- 200 gram Prawns
- 3 tablespoons Mustard seeds
- 1 large Onion
- 4 Green Chilies
- ½ teaspoon Nigella seeds
- 2 Red Chilies
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Mustard oil
- ½ cup Water
- Salt as per taste
- Wash the Prawns and take the scale(s) off. Slit them halfway from their back and take out the Intestine from each of the prawns. (This is important for any Prawn recipe)
- Place the clean Prawns on a bowl. Put 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder, add 1 teaspoon Salt and two teaspoons of Mustard oil. Marinate gently, preferably with bare hands and set it aside for later.
- Slice the onions, cut the chilies (medium sizes) and set aside for later.
- In a grinder jar, put 3 tablespoons of Mustard seeds (Soaked for about 1 hour). Add the cut Green Chilies, 2 cloves of Garlic.
- Now, put ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon Salt and grind down to a paste.
- Place a wok (kada& turn on the gas, put Mustard oil (adequately for frying Prawns) and let it heat up.
- Put the marinated Prawns in the hot oil. And fry evenly on both sides (This should only take 5 to 7 minutes). Once done set it aside for later.
- In the same oil put ½ teaspoon Nigella seeds, sliced Onion and give it a stir.
- Now, add the fried Onions, put the Mustard paste we prepared earlier and blend gently.
- Add ½ cup water for slightly runny gravy and mix gently. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- After 8 to 10 minutes, take the lid off and add slit Red Chilies for garnishing and texture (optional).
- Turn off the gas, and let the gravy settle for a few minutes, after which, Prawn Curry in Mustard should be ready to serve.
Want to share this?
Checkout Our Other Recipes
Chicken Bhuna Masala is North Indian recipe of Chicken cooked in a gravy mixed with roasted whole spices (not ground or powdered).