Paneer in white gravy or Nawabi Paneer is a rich and mildly spicy Mughlai recipe. Almonds, Cashew, Melon seeds infused with Indian spices imparts a unique yet familiar taste of a Paneer dish. Check out our video recipe here.
Paneer in white gravy| Nawabi Paneer| Recipe
Paneer in white gravy (Nawabi Paneer)
- 250 gram Paneer
- 2 medium Onions
- 7 cloves of Garlic
- ½ inch Ginger
- 2 Green Cardamoms
- 3 Cloves
- 1 medium bark of Cinnamon
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper powder
- 8 Cashew nuts
- 8 Almonds
- 3 tablespoons Poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons melon seeds
- A pinch of dried Fenugreek seeds
- 1¼ cup Milk
- ½ teaspoon Kewra water
- ¼ teaspoon Meetha Attar
- 2 tablespoons Ghee clarified butter
- In a mortar and Pestle crush two Cardamoms, 3 Cloves and 1 medium Cinnamon Bark.
- Soak 2 tablespoons of Poppy seeds, 8 Almonds and 8 Cashew Nuts in lukewarm water for ½ hour separately.
- After ½ hour, put the soaked Almonds, Cashews and soaked Poppy seeds (along with the water it was soaked in) in a grinder jar.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Melon seeds (not soaked) and grind them together to make a runny paste.
- In a separate grinder jar, add the sliced Onions and grind down to a paste.
- Take a small bowl and fill it up with ¼ cup Milk, add a pinch of Saffron, ½ teaspoon Kewra water, ¼ teaspoon of Meetha Attar and blend them together.
- Place a wok on the stove and turn on the gas. Put two tablespoons of Ghee and 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds.
- Put 2 Bay leaves, the crushed spices (we did in a mortar & Pestle) and mix them together.
- Now add the Onion paste, mix together & cook till it turns light brown.
- Then, put the Ginger Garlic paste and blend together. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 7 to 8 minutes.
- After 7 to 8 minutes, take the lid off. The ingredients would appear semi cooked.
- Add the Cashew Almond paste and blend together. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes take the lid off, add 1 cup Milk and blend together.
- Now add ½ teaspoon Black Pepper powder, Salt as per taste and mix together.
- At this point, put the Saffron Milk mixture in the gravy and blend gently and cover with a lid to cook for 10 more minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take the lid off and the gravy should appear cooked. Add the Paneer cubes now.
- Coat Paneer cubes gently with the gravy. Add a pinch of Fenugreek leaves and blend gently.
- Paneer in white gravy (Nawabi Paneer) should now be ready to serve.