Matar Paneer is an Indian Cheese and Pea gravy dish from the northern part of the Indian subcontinent.
Usually served with Flatbread (Roti or Naan), it is a popular food item at home and at restaurants as well. Matar Paneer is probably India’s 3rd most loved Paneer recipe after Shahi Paneer & Palak Paneer. It is also much simpler to make as opposed to the latter two. Apart from the written recipe here, you refer to our full video recipe as well.
Pea-gravy recipes are popular in most households in India. It is simpler to make and takes very little time as well.
Pea-gravies are normally prepared with Potatoes, Capsicum, Bottle gourd and a number of other vegetables. Paneer (Indian non-melting cheese) is the hot favorite among all other accompaniments with a Pea gravy. Hence Matar Paneer is a must-have in most vegetarian restaurants of Northern India.
Table of Contents
Want to share this?
Matar Paneer Recipe | #paneerrecipe from India
- 200 gram Paneer (Indian Non-melting Cheese)
- ½ cup 125 Green Peas (Matar)
- 1 large Onion (Pyaz)
- 2 medium Tomatoes (Tamatar)
- 5 cloves Garlic (Lehsun)
- ½ inch Ginger (Adrak)
- 2 Green Chilies (Hari Mirch)
- 1 handful Coriander Leaves (Dhania Patta)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania powder)
- 1½ teaspoon Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi powder)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder (Indian mixed spices)
- ½ cup Lukewarm Water (Garam Paani)
- Refined Oil - As per requirement (Tel)
- Salt - According to taste (Namak)
- Cut Paneer into small cubes or any other shape desired. Slice Onion, Tomatoes, Ginger & Green Chili
- Place a frying pan & turn the gas on. Put a little refined oil & let it heat up
- Once the oil turns hot add the sliced Onion, Garlic cloves, sliced Ginger, sliced Tomatoes, green Chili, salt as per taste & mix well & cook till the vegetables soften
- If the vegetables appear to have softened, turn off the gas and let it cool down
- Once cooled, add the ingredients to a grinder jar and grind down to a smooth paste & keep aside for later
- Place a Kadai (wok) & turn on the gas. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil & let it heat up. Once the oil turns hot, add 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon Coriander powder, 1½ teaspoon Red Chili powder & mix well
- Add the smooth paste we prepared in the grinder, spread it in the oil. Cover the kadai (wok) with a lid & let it cook for 8 minutes
- After 8 minutes take the lid off & give it a stir. Add ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder & mix well
- Now, add ½ cup Matar (Green Peas), and mix together
- Put ½ cup hot water to lighten the gravy. More can be added if a thinner gravy is desired. Cover with a lid & cook for 8 more minutes
- After 8 minutes, give it a stir and add the Paneer cubes. Coat Paneer with the gravy. Add ½ teaspoon Garam Masala powder & mix gently & let it cook for another 5 minutes
- Put chopped Coriander leaves and mix gently and there is your Matar Paneer recipe. It should now be ready to serve
Want to share this?
Checkout Our Other Recipes
Palak Paneer is a vegetarian dish originating from the Indian sub-continent (primarily North India), consisting of Paneer (Indian Non melting cheese) in a thick paste made from puréed spinach and seasoned with various spices.
Shahi Paneer is a North Indian gravy preparation of Paneer (Indian solid fresh cheese), in a thick gravy made up of cream, tomatoes and other rich Indian spices.
Why Matar Paneer?
Paneer in India is the go the ingredient for most vegetarian recipes in India. Even if we do not use the ingredient in a recipe, we sometimes use shredded Paneer for garnishing. Hence all our Paneer recipes work in restaurants or in a weekly roster of household dishes as well. Matar Paneer probably is consumed more frequently at households as it is slightly lighter in calories as opposed to other rich preparations of Paneer in India.