Dal fry is an Arhar Dal (Pigeon Pea) recipe made with Indian spices and is very popular in North India. Mostly consumed with Roti bread or Rice – it is a delicacy available at most North Indian restaurant menus. Check out our written recipe below & alternatively you can watch our video recipe on YouTube.
Table of Contents
Want to share this?
Dal Fry Recipe | #dalfry #lentilrecipe
- 1½ cups Pigeon Peas (Arhar Dal)
- 1 large Onion (Pyaz)
- 2 medium Tomatoes (Tamatar)
- 2 Green Chilies (Hari Mirch)
- handful Coriander leaves (Dhania Patta)
- 1 teaspoon Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1½ teaspoon Black Mustard seeds (Kale Sarson)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1½ teaspoon Red Chili powder (Lal Mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder (Dhania powder)
- 2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi powder)
- 1 teaspoon Raw Mango powder (Aamchur)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder (Indian mixed spices)
- 2 Dried Red Chilies (Sukhi Mirch)
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- Refined Oil (Tel)
- 4 cups Water (Paani)
- Salt – as per taste (Namak)
- In a bowl add 1½ cup of washed Arhar Dal (Pigeon pea). Add water and let it soak for ½ an hour
- Chop 1 Large Onion, 2 medium sized Tomatoes, 2 Green Chilies and handful of Coriander leaves
- Place a pressure cooker & turn on the gas. Add the soaked Arhar Dal, 1½ teaspoon Turmeric powder, Salt as per taste and 4 cups of water. Give a little stir. Close the lid and let it cook till you see 4-5 whistles. After the pressure settles open the lid, Dal is now cooked, switch off the burner and keep it aside for later
- Place a wok (Kadai) and turn on the gas. Add refined oil & let it heat up. Once the oil heats up, add 1 teaspoon Asafoetida, 1½ teaspoon Black Mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds and chopped Onion. Mix it well
- After 5 minutes add chopped green chilies. Cook until the Onions turn light brown. Add chopped Tomatoes, salt as per taste & mix well. Cover with the lid and let it cook for 5 minutes over medium flame
- After 5 minutes take the lid off and add 1 teaspoon Red Chili powder, ½ teaspoon Coriander powder, ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon raw Mango powder & 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder. Mix all the spices & cook for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes add chopped Coriander leaves and give a little stir. The mixture (Masala) is now ready. Transfer it into cooked Dal and mix together.
- Put Dal in a serving bowl and keep it aside to prepare Tadka (Spice mix).
- For Tadka take a spice pan and place it over the burner & keep the flame low. Add 1½ tablespoon Ghee (Clarified Butter), 2 Dried Red Chilies and ½ teaspoon Red Chili powder. Stir it in a jiffy & put it over the prepared Dal.
- Dal fry should now be ready.
Want to share this?
Checkout Our Other Recipes
Matar Paneer is an Indian Cheese and Pea gravy dish from the northern part of the Indian subcontinent. Usually served with Flatbread (Roti or Naan), it is a popular food item at home and at restaurants as well.
Palak Paneer is a vegetarian dish originating from the Indian sub-continent (primarily North India), consisting of Paneer (Indian Non melting cheese) in a thick paste made from puréed spinach and seasoned with various spices.