Dal fry / Dal tadka is an Arhar Dal (Pigeon Pea) recipe made with Indian spices and is very popular in North India. Mostly consumed with Roti bread or Rice – it is a delicacy available at most North Indian restaurant menus. Check out our written recipe below & alternatively you can watch our video recipe on YouTube.
Dal fry / Dal tadka Recipe
- 1½ cups Pigeon Peas (Arhar Dal)
- 1 large Onion (Pyaz)
- 2 medium Tomatoes (Tamatar)
- 2 Green Chilies (Hari Mirch)
- handful Coriander leaves (Dhania Patta)
- 1 teaspoon Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1½ teaspoon Black Mustard seeds (Kale Sarson)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1½ teaspoon Red Chili powder (Lal Mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder (Dhania powder)
- 2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi powder)
- 1 teaspoon Raw Mango powder (Aamchur)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder (Indian mixed spices)
- 2 Dried Red Chilies (Sukhi Mirch)
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- Refined Oil (Tel)
- 4 cups Water (Paani)
- Salt – as per taste (Namak)
- In a bowl add 1½ cup of washed Arhar Dal (Pigeon pea). Add water and let it soak for ½ an hour
- Chop 1 Large Onion, 2 medium sized Tomatoes, 2 Green Chilies and handful of Coriander leaves
- Place a pressure cooker & turn on the gas. Add the soaked Arhar Dal, 1½ teaspoon Turmeric powder, Salt as per taste and 4 cups of water. Give a little stir. Close the lid and let it cook till you see 4-5 whistles. After the pressure settles open the lid, Dal is now cooked, switch off the burner and keep it aside for later
- Place a wok (Kadai) and turn on the gas. Add refined oil & let it heat up. Once the oil heats up, add 1 teaspoon Asafoetida, 1½ teaspoon Black Mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds and chopped Onion. Mix it well
- After 5 minutes add chopped green chilies. Cook until the Onions turn light brown. Add chopped Tomatoes, salt as per taste & mix well. Cover with the lid and let it cook for 5 minutes over medium flame
- After 5 minutes take the lid off and add 1 teaspoon Red Chili powder, ½ teaspoon Coriander powder, ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon raw Mango powder & 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder. Mix all the spices & cook for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes add chopped Coriander leaves and give a little stir. The mixture (Masala) is now ready. Transfer it into cooked Dal and mix together.
- Put Dal in a serving bowl and keep it aside to prepare Tadka (Spice mix).
- For Tadka take a spice pan and place it over the burner & keep the flame low. Add 1½ tablespoon Ghee (Clarified Butter), 2 Dried Red Chilies and ½ teaspoon Red Chili powder. Stir it in a jiffy & put it over the prepared Dal.
- Dal fry should now be ready.