Chole Masala is dish from the Indian subcontinent. Also known as Chhole Masala / Amritsari Chole / Punjabi Chole Masala / Chana Masala, it is a spicy curry made from Kabuli gram (White variety) and a number of spices like Pomegranate powder, Dried Mango powder, Black salt and many other traditional Indian spices. It can be consumed with Indian flatbreads like Puri, Bhature, Kulche or even Nan or Roti. Alternatively you can watch the video recipe on Grubvineweb’s Youtube Channel.
Chole Masala Recipe
- 200 gram Kabuli Gram (Chickpea / छोले)
- 1 large Onion (प्याज)
- 3 medium Tomatoes (टमाटर)
- 5 cloves Garlic (लहसुन)
- ½ inch Ginger (अदरक)
- 2 Green Chilies (हरी मिर्च)
- 1 Bay Leaf (तेज पत्ता)
- 1 medium Cinnamon stick (दालचीनी)
- 2 Black Cardamoms (काली इलाइची)
- 2 Cloves (लौंग)
- 2 Green Cardamoms (हरी इलायची)
- ½ teaspoon Black Peppercorns (काली मिर्च के दाने)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (जीरा)
- ½ teaspoon Caraway seeds (अजवायन)
- 1½ teaspoons Red Chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder (धनिया पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder (गरम मसाला पाउडर)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin powder (जीरा चूर्ण)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- ½ teaspoon Pomegranate Seed powder (अनार के बीज का पाउडर)
- ¼ teaspoon Black Salt (काला नमक)
- 1 teaspoon Raw Mango powder (कच्चा आम पाउडर)
- 1 pinch Fenugreek Leaves (कसूरी मेथी)
- 2 tea bags (चाय की थैली)
- 4 cups water (पानी)
- Refined oil (तेल)
- Salt as per taste (स्वादानुसार नमक)
- Put 1 cup Kabuli gram in a bowl. Add water and soak the grams for 8 to 10 hours.
- Chop 3 medium Tomatoes. Put the tomatoes in a grinder and grind down to a paste.
- Chop 1 large Onion and ½ inch of Ginger. Then put them in the grinder.
- Add 5 Garlic cloves in the jar. Grind down to a paste.
- In a pressure cooker add the soaked Kabuli grams. Add Salt as per taste.
- Put 1 Bay Leaf, 1 medium Cinnamon stick and 2 Black Cardamoms.
- Then add 4 – 5 Cloves, 2 Green Cardamoms and ½ teaspoon Black Peppercorns.
- Now put 2 Tea bags and give it a stir and close the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Cook over high flame for 5 – 6 whistles. Once settled open the lid. The grams would appear cooked now.
- Strain out the water from the grams. Take out the tea bags and the whole Spices (optional)
- Place a kadai and turn on the gas. Add oil and let it heat up.
- Then add 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds, ½ teaspoon Caraway seeds and the Onion-Ginger-Garlic paste.
- Mix gently and cook till it turns light brown.
- When its light brown, put 1 teaspoon of Red Chili powder, 1 teaspoon Coriander powder and 1 teaspoon Garam Masala powder.
- Then add 1 teaspoon Cumin powder, ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder and mix together for 2 minutes.
- Put the tomato paste we had prepared earlier and mix together. Then add salt as per taste.
- Close the lid and cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes take the lid off, the mixture by now would start to release the absorbed oil.
- Put ½ teaspoon Pomegranate Seed powder, ¼ teaspoon Black Salt and 1 teaspoon Dried Mango powder.
- Now add 1 pinch of Fenugreek leaves and mix all the spices together.
- Then put the strained Kabuli Chole in the paste and coat gently. Then add the strained water as well and blend together.
- Close the lid of the kadai and cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes take the lid off. The Grams would be cooked by now.
- Turn off the gas and take out the preparation on a separate bowl. Place a spice pan and turn on the gas. Then add 1 teaspoon oil in it.
- In hot oil (over low flame) add 1 teaspoon Red Chili powder and 2 slit Green Chilies. Mix them together. Then add the spice mix to the Chole Masala preparation.
- Chole Masala should now be ready to serve.