Chicken Chaap is an extremely popular dish in the eastern state of India, West Bengal. The recipe has evolved from the Mughlai kitchens, centuries ago and now some of the famous kitchens of Kolkata serve this dish daily in large numbers. It is mostly consumed with Mutton Biryani (another Bengali favorite), however it does well with Roti / Naan bread and Pulao as well. See our video recipe here.
Chicken Chaap Recipe
Chicken Chaap recipe
- 3 Chicken Full legs (Drumstick and Thigh attached together) (मुर्गे की टान्ग)
- 1 pinch Saffron (केसर)
- 1 Star Anise (चक्र फूल)
- 1 Mace (गदा)
- 8 Almonds (बादाम)
- 1/3 cup Cashews (काजू)
- 1/3 cup Melon Seeds (खरबूज के बीज)
- ½ tablespoons Black Peppercorns (काली मिर्च के दाने)
- ½ tablespoon Red Chili powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala (गरम मसाला)
- 1½ tablespoon grated Ginger (कसा हुआ अदरक)
- 1 tablespoon chopped Garlic (बारीक कटा हुआ लहसुन)
- 2 tablespoons Curd (दही)
- 2 teaspoons Keora water (केवड़ा पानी)
- 2 teaspoons Rose water (गुलाब जल)
- ¼ teaspoons Meetha Attar (मीठा इत्र)
- ¾ cup Sattu (Ground Chickpea) (सत्तू)
- Salt as per taste (नमक)
- Water as per requirement (पानी)
- Place a cup half filled with water. Put a pinch of Saffron in it. Soak it till it turns red.
- Place a frying pan and turn on the gas and Put 1 Star Anise, 1 Mace.
- Put 8 Almonds, ½ cup of Cashews and 1/3 cup of Melon seeds.
- Then add ½ tablespoons of Black Peppercorns and Roast the spices together. Once done take the frying pan out and turn of the gas to cool down.
- Once the roasted ingredients cool down, put them in a grinder jar. Grind down to a coarse powder and keep it aside for later.
- Place a plate and put the Chicken pieces in it. Make slits on the flesh with the help of a knife.
- Take a medium sized empty bowl. Put the soaked Saffron water in it. Add ½ a tablespoon of Red Chili powder and then add 1 tablespoon of Garam Masala.
- Put 1½ tablespoon of grated Ginger, 1 tablespoon of chopped Garlic and 2 tablespoons of Curd.
- Now add 2 teaspoons of Keora water, 2 teaspoons of Rose water and ¼ teaspoon of Meetha Attar.
- Now add the ground powder we had prepared in the grinder. Add ¾ cup of Sattu and salt as per taste (We used 1½ teaspoon)
- Add adequate water and make a paste (take in intervals according to consistency of paste required).
- Now put the paste over the Chicken pieces and marinate them gently with bare hands.
- Once done cover the marinated Chicken with a cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take out the marinated Chicken from the refrigerator and take off the cling wrap.
- Place a Paella pan or a significantly large pan and turn on the gas. Put ½ cup of ghee (clarified butter) and refined oil to cover the base of the pan totally.
- Put the marinated Chicken pieces in the pan and start frying. We added the extra Marination paste in the oil as well.
- Cook for 20 minutes over medium flame. Fry both sides evenly, occasionally putting oil from the pan over the chicken pieces.
- Once cooked, put the Chicken pieces on plate along with the fried Marination. Chicken chap should now be ready to serve.